About Me

Llantwit Major, Wales, United Kingdom
I am mother, librarian, avid reader, sf fan, writer (unpubished), singer(amateur), animal lover, needlewoman.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Gloom and more gloom

The budget is gloomy, the economy is shrinking, businesses are failing, they are threatening all sorts of cuts all over the place. It is getting more and more depressing to watch the news or read the papers.

Vince Cable, the Lib Dem financial spokesman, who used to work in the city so does know what he is talking about was on yesterday. He was the one who said 5 years ago that the banks were heading for disaster and he was right. Yesterday he was saying that the budget is completely unrealistic, that huge extra cuts will have to be made, that the government can no longer afford to pay public service pensions etc etc.

When I think back to the optimism of the 60s when I was young I do wonder how we have come to this. I know that the cause is the financial idiocy of the world banks, but it still baffles me that things have got so bad so quickly. Last year we were fine, this year it is disaster.

I suppose there is nothing to do but cross your fingers and get on with everyday, but I wonder what our kids will do in the future. Global warming, economic crisis, aids, etc etc.

It is depressing.

No comments: