About Me

Llantwit Major, Wales, United Kingdom
I am mother, librarian, avid reader, sf fan, writer (unpubished), singer(amateur), animal lover, needlewoman.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ebooks and mobile phone

My mobile phone went kaput this morning. I set it on to charge, which it declined to do. 

This is sad because the phone did everything I wanted it to, and I was perfectly happy with it.

However as it only cost me £14 a good few years ago, I don't think it really owes me anything, and as I don't know what is wrong with him, it will be cheaper to buy a new one than try to fix the old one.  Orange have a phone fund which puts £1 in every time you top up by £10 (though it has a life span of 1 year so  it doesn't keep building forever) so I have £20 sitting there which I will use. 

For the moment I am using the emergency phone, which is donkeys years old and has few functions - old an clunky - but it works.

Harper Collins have been a hot topic on the lis-lib emails today.  They have decided that they will only let libraries have 26 issues from an ebook, and then the ebook will self destruct.  The providers for libraries have a digital rights management package which dictates the length of time the item is on loan from a library, and Harper Collins have now decided that they will only let libraries have 26 issues from any book they 'buy'.  The consensus seems to be that libraries will now merely be renting the books, rather than buying them.  I would consider any book that issued less than 26 times in its shelf life to be very underworked.  Some of our books issue more than 150 times.  Overdrive - the company which provides the service to loads of libraries - have said they will put Harper Collins books onto a sub site which will enable librarians to avoid buying them.  Some people are saying that they won't buy the physical  copies either.

We have the tender assessment for the ebooks pilot on Friday, which was going to be interesting before all this blew up, but will be even more interesting now.

2 comments:

oreneta said...

Seems remarkably idiotic, I must say. I love how they will put it in a subset so libraries can avoid buying it.

Serves HC right.

Boo and Trev said...

Welcome to the world of E publishing. We get nearly all our journals online and if you stop paying your annual subs than you lose access to the journal. Some will allow one off payments for a heritage collection but that is how they operate now. Something else eh? That is why the open access movement has taken off in a big way in the academic world.
I could have give you my old phone but it looks as if you are sorted