About Me

Llantwit Major, Wales, United Kingdom
I am mother, librarian, avid reader, sf fan, writer (unpubished), singer(amateur), animal lover, needlewoman.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Drafty dog flap

The dog has broken her dog flap, and with the temperatures minus something we have a serious draft coming into the kitchen. I think I will have to lock it for now and she will have to just ask to go out for tonight.

Tomorrow I will have a trip to Pets at home to buy another one.

Life just doesn't get much more exciting does it?

Actually it does, but this week is very peaceful with not much happening, so I should be able to catch up with some chores.

That's the theory.

First Dagger in the Library book is Two for Sorrow by Nicola Upton.
The central character is the novelist Josephine Tey, who wrote plays and a series of crime novels during the 20s and 30s. She is probably best remembered for a book called 'The Daughter of Time' which was one of the early promoters of the innocence of Richard III. Her detective hero is laid up in hospital and starts doing an investigation into Richard III while there.

There are a few problems with using a real person as a fictitious character is that the fiction can clash with the facts. Josephine Tey was a pen name for instance.

I am enjoying the novel, but the coincidences are starting to pile up in an alarming way, however I will refrain from judgement till I finish.

Sadly I found out today that the winner of the Dagger for last year, Ariana Franklin, has died. It was a pen name for Diana Norman, and she had written 4 novels in the series which were very different and I really liked them. I am sorry she has died, only in her 70s. The rest of the judges and I are all glad that we gave her the award last year.

1 comment:

oreneta said...

Glad indeed she got the award last year. Sad she died. What on earth did Saffy do to the flap to break it? A sudden urgent need and a bad cornering job?